Bookmark and Share

Thursday, September 25, 2008

1994 Volvo 850 AC and REC lights blinking fix

A couple months ago my blower motor in my Volvo stopped working out of the blue. The two lights on my control panel (AC and REC) would just blink when I tried to turn the fan on. I knew the compressor was fine because when I got up to speed I could feel the cool air coming through the vents.

The first thing I tried was to replace the blower motor. I got one off eBay for $70 and installed it pretty easily but it didn't work.

The second thing I did was to replace the ECC (the electronic controls in the dash). I bought it for $80 on eBay and it didn't work either.

I finally broke down and took it to a shop fully expecting to pay around $1000 to get it working. They diagnosed the problem and they told me it was the resister pack (they didn't charge me either..thanks Norman Young!!). I looked online and couldn't find it. I called my local Volvo dealer and told the lady the problem and she said the name of the resister pack is the "Power Unit". I went to the dealer and bought it for $89 and bo-bam after 2 months my fan worked without a problem!! Apparently that is a very common problem with the ECC units.

I hope that helps someone out there with a similar issue.

~J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It helped me, the same problem!

frostyfrog said...

I hope it helps me, same lights blinking today. How did you install it? Thanks!!