Bookmark and Share

Thursday, June 7, 2007

I owe Linksys an apology. Well--not completely.

After my tiraid yesterday morning I went home and set up my poppin fresh D-Link BRW-2310. When I got my DHCP address I saw it was a 192.168.2.x IP. I know this doesn't mean anything to most people but as a tech that seemed like a weird subnet to assign. Then again I though this was my first D-Link so that must be how they do it. I then went to open up the Web Interface and saw "ZyXel" as the brand name. Once again this should be a D-Link but what ever. Turned on the NAT to forward to my IP address and boo-bam I could connect just fine to Dirks XLink Kai server. Sweetness. My XBOX 360 connects through WIFi along with my Wii. I needed to get the both up but for some freaky reason the GUI had no wireless setting so I figured it should work fine. WRONG. The D-Link comes with this funky third party software called "Network Magic"(that is such a 90's software name) that is supposed to let you configure the router. It couldn't find the freggin router. What the hell?? After about 30mins of fiddling I figured I'd give D-Link a call. The lady and I tried all kinds of crap for about 45mins when she finally said "lets unplug your DSL modem." That shouldn't have an effect but what ever. Unplugged the modem, reset the router and boom I got a 192.168.0.x subnet. I went to the web interface and it was D-Link. To lay it all out what happened is the Embarq 660R (ZyXel 660r ADSL) modem is also a router and firewall. Sure would have been helpful for Embarq to send some documentation that said that.

So I said all that to say this. The problem was in the Embarq modem all along. I'm gonna post after this one how I actually had to get everything running, but I did wanna say ummm, well, I'm sorry Linksys. Don't get me wrong you have given my hell before but this time it wasn't your fault. Friends?? lol (Send me some free swag Linksys guys lol)

No comments: