Bookmark and Share

Friday, July 20, 2007

How to install a LaserWriter 630 Pro in Vista

Ok so an old LaserWriter 630 Pro was surplussed out here at work and I decided to pick it up, because I know the things are like tanks. Well that and the fact that I know how to work on the Canon/HP/Apple printer engine without a problem. Anyway lol, I reloaded 32-bit Vista Premium, because Ubuntu/Wine was pissing me off with World of WarCraft, and Guild Wars. I said all that to say this, the Apple Drivers are not included in the Vista install. They are in XP but not in Vista so what the hell. I did some searching on the inter-webs (lol) with out luck so I figured screw it I will use the XP drivers, and damn if it didn't work. Here is how I did it.

  1. Insert XP OS CD, and cancel out of any of the autoplay crap. (Note: In my case I used Disc 1 of my XP Media Center Edition)
  2. Goto Windows logo button (Old Start) -->Control Panel --> Printers
  3. Click "Add Printer"
  4. Select "Local Port" and click "Next"(Note: Only select Network if you are printer sharing to another computer with a LaserWriter)
  5. "LPT 1" and click "Next" (Note:If you are using some type of Print Server you may either need to create a Standard TCP/IP port or select the proprietary port for your printer server.)
  6. In the driver window select "Have Disk"
  7. Click "Browse"
  8. Under "Look In" select your CD-Rom with the Windows CD in it and choose the "i386" folder and click "OK"
  9. After a second of loading, the XP drivers should be listed in which you can select "Apple", and which ever LaserWriter you have.
  10. Finish the "Add Printer Wizard", and boom-bam you have your LaserWriter again!!
I think the Windows 2000 Pro CD will also work the same way, because the driver didn't change between the 2K and XP but I did not test that.

No comments: