Bookmark and Share

Monday, August 20, 2007

~~In Memory of Sadie P.

My grandmother Sadie P passed away today. I know immediate feelings of condolences and things come to might but although they appreciated they kind of aren't needed. Grandma was my fathers mother. For some reason my family wasn't really close to that side of the family. Not all of them but a lot of them. Sadie P kind of fell into the same category. There was some bad blood between my dad and Grandmother. I think some thing happened in his childhood but the main issue I knew about was a disagreement about a house deed. Either way the only time I really saw Grandma was at funerals, Christmas, weddings, or if she needed something fixed at the house. The bad part is that Grandma lived about 5 mins away from my home. I dont want this post to be negative though. I wanted to share one memory from my childhood that happened because I stayed at my grandmothers house. I actually think it was the only time I ever stayed at my grandmothers house. Anyway I was around 6 or 7 during this particular summer. Next to my grandmother lived a family with another little girl about my age. From what I can remember the girl was brown skin with fish eye glasses. At the same time we were kids so we didn't care what we looked like, we just wanted to play lol.

The way we actually got to play was that a pretty bad summer storm came up. Once it had passed I of course decided to go jump in some puddles. While I was out there the little girl came out and started playing in the mud too. She was a girl after my own heart so we started to play lol. We ended up finding this little area of dirt that had not been covered by grass and we made the coolest mud castle. For two days we worked on our mud castle, bringing in cups of water to keep the mud wet. To say the least we had a blast.

On my grandmothers behalf as dirty as I got she did nothing but laugh at me when I came in for lunch or dinner. She cleaned me up fed me and sent me back out to have the time of my life. Got to admit that was a pretty awesome stay at grandma's house.

Ok one more story that she and I laughed about though it was pretty serious. Grandma started loosing her eye sight a couple years ago. On her way home after she had her first surgery to clear out some of the blockages, she hit her self in the good eye getting out of the car. My father my grandmother and I laughed so hard about that. You have to realize that my grand mother had this very distinctive laugh. It was a deep guttural laugh that kind of started and stopped rhythmically. Her laugh kind of forced you laugh along with her.

I will miss that laugh but I am so glad that she is no longer in pain. Rest in peace grandma --rest in peace.

~J

No comments: