Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Setting up an imaging/drive cloning server

I work in a lab with over thirty computers. Students and Faculty both use these computer heavily. To say the least they get very junked up. I decided to implement a new way to reload the system instead of each one from scratch or buy manually connecting drives to use an old version of Norton Ghost. With a little bit of searching I came upon a program named G4U which stands for Ghost for Unix with no relation to Norton Ghost. G4U is a Unix-based (or G4L which is Ghost for Linux-based) app that will clone drives to a FTP server. Sweet!! It Seemed easy. I had a Mac with OSX. I turned on the FTP server from system preferences, and I downloaded and burn the G4U ISO created the "install" user account with admin privileges. I booted off the burned CD and --errors!! Many funky errors. With some research I found that the FTP server built into OS X is a stripped down version of the original Darwin client. I ended up having to use another ftp server that is also built-in but I configured it through an open-source GUI name Pure-FTPd Manager. 5 minutes. No lie, 5 minutes and I had it up and running but there was one trick. You have to create an "install" user in the Pure-FTPd Manager. (I also want to thrown in there that if you don't use the default folder for saving the images...you will need to change what ever folder you want to use to read+write in the Virtual folders tab) So lets go through the steps:
  1. Download and burn the G4U ISO
  2. Download and install Pure-FTPd Manager
  3. Create a virtual user named "install"
  4. Find the computer's local ip address from the network icon in system prefrences. (Even though it is listed in the status screen of Pure-FTPd that is the public address which may not always work depending on your firewall)
  5. Boot the computer from the G4U CD you burned.
  6. To create/upload an image type
     uploaddisk ipaddress filename.gz
    1. To restore from an image type
       slurpdisk ipaddress filename.gz 
  7. Restart the computer
I hope this helps!!


No comments: